How to Broil Premium Steak
Use the instructions below to broil Filet Mignon, Porterhouse, New York Strip Sirloin, and Ribeye steaks.
- Oven with oven rack and broil setting
- Cast-iron skillet
- Hot pad
- Spatula or tongs
Steak Broiling Instructions:
- Bring steaks to room temperature and use a clean cloth to remove excess moisture.
- CAUTION: Thawing frozen meat incorrectly can lead to serious food born illness. Before proceeding, please read our "How to Handle Steak" section to learn how to bring meat to room temperature safely.
- Move oven rack about 6 inches from heating element.
- Place a cast-iron skillet on the rack.
- Pre-heat broiler and skillet by setting the oven to broil and waiting 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the oven is pre-heating, rub steaks with olive oil, kosher salt and fresh coarsely ground pepper.
- Once the skillet is pre-heated, pull out the oven rack and carefully lay steaks in the skillet. (Be very careful because the pan will be extremely hot and may spit and splatter.)
- Close the oven and sear the steaks for 3 minutes on one side then turn and sear the opposite side for 3 minutes.
- Once seared, set the oven to 500F and cook until the steaks are done to your liking. (*Broiling Time Chart Below) Turn steaks half way through the remaining cooking time.
- Remove the steaks from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve on warm plates to help maintain meat temperature.
Chart times DO NOT include searing time. Filet mignon usually takes about one minute less to cook than other steaks. Time chart is for cooking one steak at a time. Cooking more than one steak at a time may require slightly longer cooking times. The best way to ensure your meat is done to your liking is to use an instant-read meat thermometer one to three minutes before the recommended cooking time expires.
|Steak Broiling Time Chart|
|Thickness||1"||1 1/4"||1 3/4"|
(120 - 125F)
|0 - 1 Min.||2 - 3 Min.||4 - 5 Min.|
(130 - 135F)
|1 - 2 Min.||3 - 4 Min.||5 - 6 Min.|
(140 - 150F)
|2 - 3 Min.||4 - 5 Min.||6 - 7 Min.|
|4 - 5 Min.||6 - 7 Min.||8 - 9 Min.|