Marsala Mushroom Sauce
4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) butter
1 cup chopped leek (white and pale green parts only)
4 tsp. minced garlic
4 cups sliced mixed fresh wild mushrooms (like oyster, stemmed portobello and stemmed shiitake)
2/3 cup dry Marsala
2/3 cup beef broth
1. Melt two tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat.
2. Add leek and garlic and saute until almost tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Increase heat to medium until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
4. Add Marsala and beef broth and boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes.
5. Strain sauce, reserving mushrooms (can be prepared 1 day ahead. If you do, cover strained sauce and mushrooms separately and chill).
6. Bring sauce to simmer in heavy large skillet.
7. Remove skillet from heat.
8. Gradually whisk remaining 2 tbsp. butter.
9. Add reserved mushrooms and stir over low heat until mushrooms are heated through, about 2 minutes.
10. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
11. Place grilled steaks on plates.
12. Spoon sauce and mushrooms over steaks and serve.
A Favorite Recipe of Annette Dunlap (Family Friend)
Last Modified: 2005-10-03 17:11:37