Chateaubriand with Vegetables
Serves 8, plus leftovers
2 Tbsp. snipped fresh rosemary or 2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground pepper
4 to 6 lb. Chateaubriand
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
3 turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
3 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil or cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine rosemary, salt and pepper; rub half the mixture onto the beef and reserve remaining half.
- Place Chateaubriand on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add any liquid.
- Insert meat thermometer into center of beef.
- Roast, uncovered until thermometer registers 135 degrees for medium rare (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours) or until thermometer registers 150 degree for medium (about 2 to 2 1/2 hours)
- Meanwhile, in large dutch oven, cook sweet potatoes, turnips and onions, covered, in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Drain vegetables.
- Add garlic, olive oil or cooking oil, and remaining rosemary mixture to vegetables and toss gently to combine.
- During last 45 minutes of roasting beef, arrange vegetables around meat.
- When done cooking, remove roast from oven, cover with foil and let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Carve and serve Chateabriand with the roasted vegetables.
A Favorite Recipe of Vaneta Foster (Mom)
Last Modified: 2005-10-03 16:39:13